Features of booking PVC boats
An inflatable rubber boat, or made of polyvinyl chloride, is a fairly lightweight and comfortable transportation solution for a small boat. Such boats are in great demand among fishermen and travelers. The main problem in use is damage to the bottom and cylinders - tears, punctures and other damage. Various methods are used to strengthen the bottom, for example, booking a swimming facility.
This publication will allow you to navigate what reservation methods are available, what materials are used, their pros and cons, and also how to do it yourself.
Description of procedure
There are many factors due to which damage occurs to the bottom of the boat, as well as its cylinders and other elements, for example:
- wear and tear of the material;
- a gap at the contact of the bottom and lower part of the cylinders with the rocky soil of the reservoir, pebbles, and so on;
- breakdown or cut with a pointed object (dropped a knife, hooked fishing rods and more);
- a spark hit the board.
You can simply board the inflatable side when the boat is on the shallows and get a breakdown or break in the lower part of the skin. Similarly, when pulling ashore, inadvertent dragging on pebbles can cause harm to the layer of polyvinyl chloride. As you can see, there are a lot of factors, and they are very diverse.
An event such as reservation of the bottom of the boat made of polyvinyl chloride, strengthening and thickening of the bottom and inflatable sides. At the moment, many methods have been invented, using which you can free yourself from such problems for a long time.
The main thing in the performance of all strengthening measures is to take into account the following nuances:
- the weight of the craft, which can grow up to 7-12 kilograms, it all depends on the dimensions of the swimming means and patches;
- it is worth remembering that as a result of gluing polyvinyl chloride, the dimensions will increase by 2-3 centimeters;
- what material will be used for booking (since the boat is made of polyvinyl chloride, it is also necessary to make an additional bottom from polyvinyl chloride tapes or specialized strips with rubber coating, but anglers often use other, waterproof materials);
- the thickness of the glued polyvinyl chloride should be within 3-5 millimeters;
- which areas of the bottom are being booked (it depends on what the reinforcement is for).
However, basically it is:
- inflatable keel;
- lower part of cylinders;
- watercraft nose;
- place of transom fixation;
- mating areas of longitudinal stiffeners (stringers) in the cockpit.
It should be taken into account that Strengthening the center strip and torpedoes will bring little protection and light stability. But with the capital reservation of the bottom or even of the entire boat, you can definitely be sure of the boat.
The main thing is to apply the appropriate glue. In addition to all underbody protection, auxiliary reinforcement can be performed.
What is required?
There are several methods of strengthening, each of them has its own positive qualities and shortcomings. Reservations can be used for the entire bottom of an inflatable boat made of polyvinyl chloride, and only areas that are at the greatest risk of wear or damage can be booked. Key methods include:
- gluing on the bottom of the scales of polyvinyl chloride ("dragon skin");
- additional protective coating of polyvinyl chloride on the lower part;
- reinforcement with polyurethane film;
- polyvinyl chloride tape;
- rubber coated tape;
- liquid polymers.
Gluing "dragon scales" is a long-term and labor-intensive procedure, not everyone wants to plague time for such an operation. An additional layer of polyvinyl chloride is not so sophisticated and a long-term process, and a polyvinyl chloride tape glued to strengthen and armor elements that are subject to maximum loads, such as the bottom of a craft, will be the most unsophisticated and cost-effective solution that will significantly reduce costs. Similarly, rubber coated tape can be used for this purpose using specialized glue. Separately, it is necessary to disassemble the use of liquid polymeric materials.
The polymer fluid is applied to the pre-prepared area of the boat. Certain varieties of it are practiced for the deep reservation of a boat. In addition, fishermen reinforce with strips of plastic, aluminum or duralumin, placing them on rivets in the middle, front or at the stern of the boat. A similar method is not good enough in that it harms polyvinyl chloride by abrading it. And it interferes with the normal assembly of the boat. In general, armor can be made on any sections of the boat by various methods, to what extent there is enough knowledge and fiction.
Pros and cons of gain
The process of booking the bottom of the boat brings a number of positive aspects, in the aggregate the spent funds are not wasted, but become a profitable investment. Through this procedure, the following occurs:
- increasing bottom strength and reducing the possibility of tears and punctures;
- increase the duration of operation of the product, as it increases resistance to wear, the influence of the atmosphere and so on;
- the swimming tool gets the property of better planing, which affects the driving characteristics;
- the cost of the boat increases, it can be realized more expensive.
If we talk about negative points, then from their number we can touch a certain increase in mass, its value depends on the dimensional parameters of the craft and the thickness of the used protective layer on the bottom. Additionally, the material used for booking influences this indicator. After refinement, the dimensions will slightly increase, but also not too noticeably, within the boundaries of 2 to 3 centimeters.
According to the current opinion among fishermen and travelers, such minor inconveniences will be fully compensated by increasing the duration of operation and improving the running properties, and the use of the latest polymer materials makes it possible to exclude an impressive increase in the mass and size of the boat.
The use of liquid polymers
The science of our days gave birth to the so-called elastic polymers - liquid chemicals that are able to polymerize after they cover the surface of a swimming means. Polymerization gives extraordinary strength, such a coating will not lag behind under any influences.
Polymers combine qualities that were previously incompatible in one substance - good elasticity and stability to the influence of mechanical factors. Such features are acquired during the manufacturing process by introducing specialized additives and plasticizers that affect the physical and chemical characteristics of the finished product.
Due to coating the surface of the craft with liquid polymers, it acquires the following qualities:
- resistance to mechanical factors (wear, cuts, holes and the like);
- resistance to the influence of chemical aggressive substances;
- significant resistance to UV radiation;
- increased weather resistance, especially to temperature fluctuations.
It should be said that the applied polymer layer stands out among the other types of coatings for its fineness, its thickness is not more than 0.8 millimeters, and its density is close to the density of the material of the floating means. This all makes it possible to maximize the value of the mass added after coating. If necessary or desired, coating with several layers of polymer is allowed.
Such compositions can be purchased at specialized points of sale, and for their use does not require special knowledge and skills.
First of all, it is necessary to strengthen the design. Taking into account the reliability of the supporting structure, booking is only required for the bottom of the boat and the inflatable sides. This can be done in two ways. Only after the completion of this process will it be possible to talk about other varieties of reconstruction. Although the PVC boat is made from a fairly strong material, there is no way to hide from wear, and for this purpose, specialized PVC profiles are used that are fixed to or without waterproof glue.
As a result of which, as already mentioned, the mass of the swimming means will increase slightly, therefore, such a procedure should be carried out, taking into account the following recommendations:
- booking in any case is necessary when operating the craft in fast flow with rapids of the river, in such conditions there is a particularly high risk of damage;
- when operating the craft on ponds and lakes with still water, this can be omitted.
The procedure is as follows:
- Before starting the main activities, the boat must be thoroughly washed, dried, removed all fine grains of sand and degreased with solvent;
- after that it is pumped up in order to make a template for cutting the material, for this they are tipped upside down and the dimensions are taken from the keel to the cylinders;
- then, according to these standards, the material is cut out (it is desirable to prepare two identical strips) and left in the sun or put away in a warm place so that it is leveled;
- then the boat is blown off by pulling the valve, laid out on level ground;
- one strip is put to the bottom, leveled along its entire length, and they begin to heat it with an industrial hot air gun set to the limit, while rolling in parallel with the roller in order to remove air;
- then they perform exactly the same actions with the 2nd lane, precisely placing it to the first.
The bonding procedure is carried out due to the heating of the membrane by exposure to elevated temperature. No glue is required.
Booking of halt cylinders
The second component of the craft, which needs additional reinforcement, is the cylinders, or rather the part that is in the water. There is no need to completely clad them with material. The procedure is carried out in the same way as when booking the bottom: the cylinders are initially cleaned, the air is driven off, dimensions are taken and the material is glued.
In addition, halts are applied for booking - glued onto the lower area of the cylinders. Halts are sold at specialized retail outlets where you can choose material for specific boat modifications. In a situation where there are no halts for your model, you can buy for another modification and use it for your craft by first fitting it to your size.
The halt booking procedure includes the following steps:
- as in the process of booking the bottom, everything is cleaned and dried, but gluing in this case is carried out exclusively on a pumped boat;
- after it needs to be cleaned with a solvent and left for some time to dry;
- then glue is applied to the cylinders and halt, held for 10 minutes and the halt is applied to the lower area of the cylinder, after which it is also necessary to roll on it with a roller to remove air, align and seal.
Drying, as a rule, is 2 or 3 days.
See how to stick the protective tape to the bottom of the boat in the next video.