How to wash the gas stove grill?
As a rule, when cleaning the kitchen, housewives try to postpone washing the gas stove lattice until later. This is due to the inconvenience of the form (you need to try to crawl between narrow bars), as well as thoughts about the useless waste of time. This is a mistake made by most owners of gas stoves. It is not for nothing that manufacturers try to produce lattices of predominantly black color - it is the most difficult to see on them. Lack of proper attention to cleaning the grill can lead to destruction of the metal.
Causes of Dirt
Dirt settles on the grill after each cooking. It doesn't matter if you cooked something greasy or just warmed up the soup. Small droplets of fat, falling on the surface of the plate, quickly lose moisture under the influence of hot temperature and instantly grow. Dust is added to them, which, unfortunately, is inevitable in any apartment. Small hairs and fibers of clothing can complement the picture. So, a whole layer of dirt appeared in front of us, which can be quite difficult to clean, but still real.
By carefully reading the information below, you can find a solution to the problem that is right for you.
Types of Gratings
All grilles for slabs seem the same. These are black products in the form of interwoven rods. They can be made of different metals. First you need to determine what material your grill is made of, since the available cleaning method will depend on this. There are only three options:
- Cast iron grate. Its material is rough, porous, and the lattice itself is heavy.
- Enamelled steel grate. It is a sleek and lightweight instance.
- Stainless steel grill. Such products differ from the previous ones in color. With prolonged use, they can burn out in contact with fire.
Recognizing the type of material at first glance may not be easy. The simplest thing is to look at the gas stove instruction manual or ask a man for help. If this was not possible, use the universal surface cleaning method.
- Be sure to wear tight rubber gloves. This will help preserve the beauty of your hands and nails during cleaning. Even seemingly safe methods of cleaning mean splitting dirt. If the agents can decouple the fat into particles, then what will they do with your hands?
- Take a close look at what type of structure your grill has. It can be removed from the stove in one integral part, in two parts or not removed at all. This should be clarified at the initial stage of cleaning. Do not despair if the grill is built into the stove, as there are several ways to clean it even under such conditions. Be sure to cover the surface of the stove with foil to avoid cleaning agents from getting into the burners.
- Removable gratings may contain small gasket parts between metal and plate. They must be separated and set aside before cleaning.
Different types of gratings have their own distinctive features, pros and cons. Much depends on the material from which they are made. Let us consider in more detail the features of the existing and the above options.
This type is one of the most expensive because of its ability to retain heat for a long time and not bend under heavy pots and pans. It is massive, but also quite fragile. It should not be thrown or cleaned with abrasive products (powders with the addition of abrasive particles). It is also not recommended to scrape off fat with a knife, because together with the mud, some of the material may also go away. And certainly not one of the soaking methods is suitable for a cast-iron coating. Long contact with water is contraindicated for this material.
Lattices made of enamelled steel are lighter in weight than cast iron and not so fragile. They can be soaked for a long time, which increases the number of cleaning methods. It is not advisable to just scrape such material with metal objects, since scratches and chips can form on its surface.
Stainless steel is the most unpretentious material and you can use all of the above methods to clean it. In this case, the use of metal sponges and aggressive cleaning agents is not prohibited.
How to clean?
First, consider a few cleaning options with home remedies suitable for all types of metal:
- Steam generator. It is possible to use a steam generator without removing the grill. Put a short, hard brush on the device. Having set the temperature to not lower than 140 degrees, first steam-treat a small surface to make sure the necessary exposure time. You will see how steam breaks down fat. Finish cleaning by wiping the grate with a sponge. Repeat if necessary.
- Steam cleaning in the oven. If there is no steam generator in the house, boiling water can be used. Pour a simple liquid into the deep pan and place on the bottom of the oven. Place the grill on top. Leave for half an hour or an hour, then clean the softened fat with a sponge.
- Baking soda. Prepare a mushy composition by mixing baking soda and water. Lubricate the resulting mixture with the entire surface of the grill. Leave on for 30-40 minutes. Wipe lightly with a hard sponge, then a regular one. Rinse off the composition.
- Ammonia. This method is only suitable for removable grilles. Place the part in the bag. Pour a bubble of ammonia into it, tightly tie it. Carefully turn the bag over several times to distribute the alcohol on its inside. Leave it overnight. We recommend using a balcony, as ammonia has a pungent odor. Rinse thoroughly with a sponge in the morning.
- Mustard. Mix mustard powder with hot water until a paste-like consistency is formed. Apply this composition to the grate. If there is particularly severe pollution, then the grate should be put in a bag. After 2-3 hours, rinse the fat with a sponge under a stream of hot water.
- A mixture of soda, mustard, salt and vinegar. Mix the four ingredients: soda, mustard, salt, vinegar in equal proportions. Apply the resulting mixture to the surface with a damp sponge and leave overnight. Rinse thoroughly.
- Melamine sponge. If you have already used it, then you should have appreciated all the advantages. With its help, you can clean almost any pollution. It is enough to wet a little sponge, and then wipe all the necessary places.
Having described the universal methods, we proceed to methods for cleaning a specific type of grate.
Today in almost any supermarket you will find at least 5 types of effective means for cleaning carbon deposits. Seeing the inscription "Anti-fat", you will understand that you are going in the right direction. Household chemicals differ not only in price, but also in the method of application, processing time and aggressiveness of the composition.
Compositions of the Anti-Fat category are divided into three types: powders, creams (gels), sprays:
- Powdered products are applied with a damp sponge to the surface to be cleaned. The abrasive content helps wipe away grease, but can cause scratches on the metal.
- Creams and gels are the most popular means in the fight against dirt. Their soft composition does not harm even fragile enamel. You just need to put it on the grill, let the product act (the time can be increased depending on the degree of contamination) and rinse thoroughly with water.
- Sprays appeared on sale relatively recently. They are convenient to use, but due to the spray application method, they are quite unhealthy.
Consider the most popular cleaning products and reviews of housewives to them:
- Bagi Shumanit. Manufacturer - Israel. Available in two forms: gel and spray. Both types of products do not scratch the material. It is recommended as a means of removing any, even the most severe pollution, accumulated over the years. However, users note a lack of complete information about the chemical composition of the cleaner. Possessing high toxicity, it is categorically not recommended to use it without gloves and without good ventilation. After applying to the surface, it is necessary to leave the room, and after time, thoroughly rinse the grate with water. Speaking of price, Shumanit gel refers to household chemicals of average cost. Spray is about twice as expensive.
- Sanita Anti-Fat. Manufacturer - Russia. Domestic remedy is presented in all possible varieties: gel, spray, powder. Reviews on the Internet are different: from enthusiastic, admired to negative. With small accumulations of fat, this tool copes with a bang, and for the stable it will take a lot of time. It has a pleasant smell. Of the biggest advantages, the means of the hostess note a small cost. The flaws include a flimsy cover, as well as the presence of unknown "other acids" in the composition.
- Frosch. Manufacturer - Germany. All Frosch products advertise themselves as safe, made from natural ingredients. However, the use of a fat removal spray is again recommended only with gloves on. Unfortunately, according to consumers, the product is good only at the stage of pollution and is not suitable for persistent soot.
- Faberlic Manufacturer - Russia. The gel of the Faberlic House series has earned the love of the hostesses due to its soft texture, economical packaging, subtle smell, and attractive price. The childproof cover adds another plus to the money box of this product. But the lack of a dispenser is a drawback that almost all users note. The cleansing ability of the gel is also doubtful. Despite the rather aggressive composition, a lot of effort will have to be made to clean heavily soiled grids. If you have enough time and patience, this drug should be given a chance.
- Cream Cif. Manufacturer - Hungary. The product, which claims to be a cream, really has a mild formula and gently cleanses the surface. The composition is gentle enough that can not but rejoice. According to the instructions, the cream must be kept on the surface being cleaned for no more than a minute, but this is a moot point. This time is enough to remove fresh contaminants, but you will have to wait to clean up the stubborn fat. And even after a long wait, you will need to rub it well with a sponge or brush to achieve the desired result. The cleaner belongs to household chemicals of average cost.
- Meine Liebe. Manufacturer - Germany. The main advantage of this tool is the delicacy of the composition. It lacks chlorine, phosphate, and other harmful ingredients. Surprisingly, with such content, it copes with dirt and grease. Neutral smell, average price subdue buyers. The disadvantages include some difficulties with flushing.
- Eco-max. Manufacturer - Canada. Fans of eco-friendly products should pay attention to this tool. In its composition you will not find alkaline ingredients. Available in the form of a spray, which facilitates the application. Of course, the remedy is not so effective compared to its alkaline brothers, but the housewives recommend it as an effective cleaner. A rather high price discourages.
Reviews of homemakers on the Internet are contradictory. Only you can understand which remedy is suitable in a particular case. Be sure to carefully read the instructions on the packaging before use. To prevent the adverse effects of household chemicals on health always use them with good ventilation.
Avoid even the smallest remnants of cleaning products on the grill - as they can get into food.
The methods for cleaning the grilles are largely dependent on the material of which they consist. Earlier, we examined what varieties these details are divided into. Now let us consider in more detail which methods of cleaning them are the most effective.
For example, the most popular cast iron cleaning method is calcination. It is easiest to do this, living in a private house or in the country, on an open fire. The grate must be placed over the fire, periodically turning over until the grease and dirt disappear. At the end, wipe the part with a slightly damp cloth. If you live in an apartment, you can ignite the grate over the gas stove, but be sure to open the windows before that, and also turn on the hood.
Inventive housewives suggest using a not very rigid brush head on the drill. It must be installed on the device, turned on and driven across the entire surface of the grill to achieve the result.
If your family has a car, you can use means for washing the motor. It must be applied to the sponge, and then carefully grill the composition. After that, rinse the part and dry it.
The easiest cleaning method for an enamelled steel part is to place the wire rack in the dishwasher. If the pollution is small, the high temperature mode is suitable. If the dirt is firmly eaten, then use additional soda tablets.
Soda is good and in the absence of a machine for washing dishes. Place the wire rack in a large, durable bag, boldly pour a packet of baking soda inside, and then fill it with warm water. After tying the bag, leave the wire rack for several hours. It remains only to rinse and dry thoroughly. If the size of the grate allows, you can soak it in the sink, after closing the drain.
To save the situation will also help household soap. You will need a container in which the grill will fit. It is necessary to prepare a strong soapy solution in it, and then soak the grate overnight.
If you are not a fan of long mechanical work, prepare one of the pastes that will help you cope with the task:
- Mix 100 g of washing powder with 30 ml of ammonia. Formulate the metal and wash thoroughly after 20 minutes.
- Prepare the pulp from hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, grate it well, rinse thoroughly.
- Mustard powder diluted with 9% vinegar, as well as a small amount of dishwashing liquid. This paste is applied to stainless steel. After 25 minutes, clean under running hot water.
The most reliable way is the initial soaking of the grate, then cleaning with one of the folk remedies using a stiff brush, and then thoroughly washing
Useful tips and life hacks
Here are a few helpful tips to help you clean the grate without harming it:
- Never soak a cast-iron grate in a liquid and do not wash in a dishwasher. The material may become cracked and lose its strength.
- Any metal begins to break down if you place a hot grate in cold water or a solution. We advise to cool it before cleaning.
- Do not try to violently rub the surface with metal brushes. This will destroy the material.
- Every time after cleaning, wipe the grate dry.
- To facilitate further cleaning, you can use the following method. We need stationery transparent glue (50ml), washing powder or detergent (2 tbsp), soda (150 g).The ingredients are thoroughly mixed, and the composition is applied to the grate. After drying, it disappears from view. All that is needed during the next cleaning is to wash the applied layer, and pollution will come down with it.
- The easiest way to maintain cleanliness is to wash the grill after each cooking, and for steel grills, soak it once a week in soapy water.
- Soaking lattices can be not only in a separate basin, but also in the bath, as well as in the sink.
- If you could not achieve the desired result the first time, do not despair and just repeat your actions when the opportunity arises.
Each of the above methods of cleaning the lattice is able to cope with the task, the difference is only in time and effort. The choice of folk remedies or household chemicals is always yours. It is believed that the kitchen is the face of the hostess. Having not spared several minutes for daily cleaning of the grate, you will not have to be upset due to unpleasant soot. It not only spoils the look of the stove, but also your mood. Even dishes prepared in clean and pleasant conditions become tastier.
For how to quickly clean the gas stove grill, see the next video.